Thursday, November 30, 2006

Just One of Many Opinions

I came across this post at AlphaMom about breastfeeding in public today. It's very funny, check it out for the links if nothing else. Since there is virtually nothing crafty that I can talk about here due to several *SECRET* projects, I thought I would share my opinion on breastfeeding, in public and in general.

First off, I breastfed both of the Munchkins, the first for almost a year and the second for a little over six months. I think they are both much healthier little girls now than they would have been if they had started on formula right off the bat. The doctor, nurses, and WIC office all were pro-breastfeeding when I was pregnant, and all had plenty of literature to support it. I was very easily convinced, and knew long before Munchkin #1 was born that I would try my hardest to breastfeed, and if it didn't work out, we'd go to the bottle.

The first few days were very hard. The little one had a lot of trouble latching on, and I was a very nervous new mom. By the end of that first week, I was in tears on an hourly basis because I couldn't get the baby to eat. My ex called his sister, because she was the only person he knew who had breastfed, and she calmed me down tremendously. Once I was calm, the baby latched on with no trouble. From that day on, I breastfed. And I loved it. Not only was my little girl getting the best nutrition on the planet, but it was a great time to bond and be close to her. Breastfeeding Munchkin #2 was automatic, and I never had any trouble with her eating.

I guess it's pretty obvious that I'm a strong advocate for breastfeeding, so I feel for the woman kicked off the plane for refusing to cover up. It IS her right to feed her baby, and if nothing is showing, why is this so offensive? I can see asking her to cover up if she was flashing people. But if you're all the way in the back and no one can see you? I say, breastfeed away. There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public as long as you are discreet and considerate of others. I signed the petition at MomsRising for this issue, and I think it's worth everyone checking out. Let's tell Congress and everyone else that we support breastfeeding mothers and their babies.

No comments: