For some crazy reason this morning, I thought it would be a good idea to dig through my (horribly tangled) WIP bin to find something to work on. Yeah, great idea. Once I had dug in, it was impossible to stop. The whole bin consisted of one huge knot of yarn, with full skeins attached and laying in the bottom. I have to admit, I got out the scissors (gasp!) and cut most of it apart. Luckily, the majority of the yarn was salvaged. The knot must have looked much bigger than it actually was, or something. Anyway, I got the yarn untangled, and put back neatly, and I found something to work on.
I started a beautiful granny square blanket about a year and a half ago to give to Laynie when she was born. But the squares took so long, and the ends took even longer to weave in. I soon gave up and stuffed the beginning squares and leftover yarn into the aforementioned bin. This morning I found 10 completed squares and 3 out of 5 needed skeins of yarn.
The new plan is to sew a center square out of the blocks, and then crochet a huge border around it, granny-style. I'm going to try this afternoon to find more finished squares, I don't know how many I originally made but I'd like for the center of the blankie to be larger than 3 by 3 squares. If not, I'll start sewing them together tonight, and I want to have the blanket done to give to Laynie for her first birthday. A year late is better than not at all.
There were many other unfinished things in the bin, but I will leave those for another day. Maybe a little UFO-bustin' will inspire some creativity. I still don't know what to do with all of the other yarn that I ignored today, piled in bins around the UFO bin. Scary!
Update: I found the rest of the yarn, but sadly, no more squares. I guess I'll just have to work with what I have, I really don't want to make more of the squares. 3 by 3 for the center will work just fine.