Thursday, December 21, 2006

A Little Side Project

I've been busy the last couple of days finished up decking out the house for the holiday. I put my tree up weeks ago, but only half-heartedly, and it really didn't look good. I paid a visit to Wal-Mart and picked up some ribbon, new ornaments, and these super cool sequined ornaments, among other things. When I got home to do the decorating, I discovered that the sequined ornaments weren't ornaments at all! They were a garland, rolled up in a tube and disguised as ornaments. So I made them into the ornaments I wanted them to be.


Ornament Garland
Originally uploaded by lill_mama83.

This is the end of the garland I deconstructed, pre-cutting. I simply cut the loop at the end and let the seed beads fall into a bowl. (The garland is basically fishing line threaded with seed beads, sequined balls and single sequins.) I then threaded about eighteen seed beads back onto the line above the ball and tied it in a loop. Then I cut the line below the ball, dropped the beads again, and tied a knot in the line directly beneath the ball. I then repeated the whole process for each successive ball, turning them into ornaments.

The boyfriend took this picture of me while I was working on the garland-to-ornament project. It's one of my favorite pictures of myself.




Ornaments 1
Originally uploaded by lill_mama83.
Here's what the ornaments looked like when I was done. I only did four, and the rest are, well, still a garland. I draped it around the rack our stockings are hanging from, and after the holidays I'll finish cutting it up. I'll have more time then to finish them. I really like how they turned out, and they pretty much look just like the ornaments that I originally thought they were. They look very pretty on my tree! I'll share pics of my tree, the wreath I made, and some other decorations in the next couple of days. Until then, I'll be wrapping!

No comments: